HISTORY OF HOPE CEMETERY
Hope Cemetery Burial Records 1843-1876- p.2
From its humble beginnings in the late 1700s as a small burying ground owned by John Low and abutting the First Parish Church, Hope Cemetery has evolved into the present day 125 acre park-like setting through the generosity of abutting landowners who donated or sold farmland and woodland to the cemetery corporation.
The first person buried in the Old Church Yard was Colonel Joseph Storer’s widow Hannah March Storer who died 27 February 1790 at age 54. Col. Storer died in 1777 in Albany NY during the Revolutionary War. The lot on which the First Parish Church stands was given to the Parish Society by Col. Storer for as long as there was a church on it.
In 1816 local citizens organized the Kennebunk Burial Ground when they purchased ¾ of an acre of land including the burial grounds from John Low. This section is now called the Old Hope Church Yard or Old Cemetery.
An additional six acres were purchased and in 1854 a corporation was formed with the first lots being sold that year. Those signing the corporation petition were W. L. Thompson, F.M. Thompson, Natl L. Thompson, Chas Thompson, George Wise, Wm Lord, Geo. W. Bourne and Edw W Morton.
The cemetery was developed in seven parts including the Old Church Yard northeast of the First Parish Church (now called the First Parish Unitarian Universalist Church). The next area built was the Main Yard, Division I, followed by the Main Yard, Division II.
Division I is a simple modified elliptical design with rows of graves marked in the center by a picturesque focal point. In the focal point are graves of Littlefields, Perkins, Cobbys, Lords and Curtis’s. Division II added in the later 1800s is the most picturesque portion of the cemetery. Both Divisions were developed in the garden style, popular at the time of development. The garden style of landscaping is noted for its park-like settings with curving paths and specifically placed plantings. In Division II exists a large focal point in the shape of a flower with graves of four of the Parsons family forming the petals of the flower. The focal point is surrounded by curving lanes and specially chosen plantings.
Corporation Petition 1854
Sections A, B and C were laid out next. Section A with its straight rows of graves complements the Main Yard, Division I. Section B followed the general design of Division II with curving paths and distinctively chosen plantings. It has two focal points, both triangular shaped plots. Graves of members of the Ward and Parsons families lie in the triangles. As the century progressed the graves were laid out in straight rows which make up about half of the Section B. Section C was also laid out in straight rows with the largest single focal point in the cemetery being a rectangular shaped piece of land housing more of the Parsons family’s graves. The most recent section developed is Hillside with young trees and straight lines. It abuts a wildflower meadow and woods.
The current welcoming entrance of granite columns capped with marble balls and a decorative iron fence replaced earlier wooden gates in 1904. Hartley Lord gave the new entrance as a memorial to his wife Julia who died in 1902. Lord, a successful Boston and Kennebunk businessman was born in Kennebunk in 1825 on the day Lafayette visited Kennebunk. Close to the main entrance lies the Cemetery’s receiving tomb built in 1905, replacing an earlier one constructed in 1863.
In 1951 An Act to Ratify and Confirm The Incorporation of Hope Cemetery Corporation, of Kennebunk, in the County of York was passed by the Ninety Fifth Maine Legislature. This was necessary since according to the act some of the records on incorporation, particularly those between 1854-1873 have been lost presumably because of fire and that since in 1854, the year of incorporation, there was no statutory provision for recording its incorporation in any office of public record.
In 1952 a small cape-style office and storage building was built. It continues to be the cemetery office. An additional maintenance building was built at a later time to store large equipment. From the time of incorporation in 1854 until1894 Edward W. Morton. served as the administrator of the cemetery, From 1894 until the 1950s the administrative duties were performed by a series of different people at their places of business. Since then, a paid cemetery superintendent has overseen the functioning of the cemetery with input from the board of directors.
Information on Edward E Bourne, 1873; Hope Cemetery Burial Records 1843-1876 - p. 80-81
Records of those buried long ago in the Old Church Yard and in other parts of Hope Cemetery are found in the few Hope Cemetery books that have survived. Some are stored in the Cemetery’s safety deposit box at Kennebunk Savings Bank while some are located at the Brick Store Museum located across the street from the historic First Parish Unitarian Universalist Church.
SOURCES FOR HISTORICAL INFORMATION
Edward Emerson Bourne. The History of Wells and Kennebunk from the Earliest Settlement to the Year to the Year 1820, At Which Time Kennebunk Was Set Off and Incorporated. Portland: B Thurston & Company, 1875. (downloadable from google books)
Edward E Bourne III & Hartley Lord II. Kennebunk in the Nineties and Biographical Sketches. Kennebunk: The Brick Store Museum, 1965.
Edward E Bourne III & Hartley Lord. Kennebunk Folks. Kennebunk: The Brick Store Museum, 1967.
Edward Emerson Bourne III & Hartley Lord II. Kennebunk’s First Meeting House. Kennebunk: The Brick Store Museum, 1968. P. 8-9
Edward E Bourne III, author; Francis Gilman Collier & Hartley Lord, editors. Zion’s Hill. Kennebunk: Brick Store Museum, 1981.
George A Gilpatric. The Village of Kennebunk, Maine: interesting facts from old documents and maps and observations. Kennebunk: The Star Print Inc., 1935. http://www.mykennebunks.com/Archives/Gilpatric%20whole%20reduced.pdf p. 6 Storer reference , p. 17 Kennebunk Burial Ground and Hope cemetery & John Low
George A Gilpatric. Kennebunk History: Not A History but a few items in addition to and a sequel to “The village of Kennebunk, Maine”(revised to 1939): a description of a few more old homes, a few biographical sketches. Kennebunk: The Star Print, 1939.
Daniel Remich. History of Kennebunk: from its earliest settlement to 1890, including biographical sketches. Portland: Lakeside Press, 1911.
MAPS SHOWING HOPE CEMETERY
What is the most great info you have to read about what does a Viagra pill look like? Medications, like Viagra, sure, is going to improve your being. Unconditionally, for a lot of men, bringing up the problem in the first place is the toughest step. Young men suffer from erectile dysfunction need professional help. Several treatments will include couples therapy. Diabetes, stress, depression, and several medicines can reduce your desire. Emotional stress may affect sexual function, including performance.